leaflets and publicity to follow.
The Brighton Coalition Against the Cuts has had a couple of delegate organising meetings... attended by 28, and by 38 delegates from political organisations, trade union branches, voluntary and community organisations.
The Brighton Stop the Cuts Delegates meeting Mon 4 October2010 discussed taking the arguments and protests against public sector cuts forward.
The main points decided were:
1. Support and publicise plans being put in place by unions for action around the full Brighton and Hove council meeting on the 21st October. This will council meeting will include a discussion on in year cuts in Brighton and Hove and in particular the fate of the connextions service. Details TBC
2. To organise and build a large public demonstration on Saturday the 30th October in Brighton in protest at the huge cuts that will be outlined in the spending review on the 20th. The aim of this demonstration as the first Brighton weekend protest against the governments cuts plans will be to get a huge turnout and bring together all of the local campaigns to defend services. The plan is to begin at 12 noon at the Level.
3. We will need every part of the Stop the Cuts campaign to help with the building for this demo and are appealing for funds and support from unions and organisations across the city.
4. Please get in touch if you can distribute material, put up posters or have ideas or suggestions about the event. Please also get in contact if you can help with organising or playing at a fund-raising gig.
5. To plan local meetings across Brighton on the main estates to broaden out the campaign. Stalls should be happening from 12 o'clock Saturday on Boundary Road, Portsalde, the Hollingdean Dip, and Hollingbury Asda, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for info/to help out.
6. To produce a newsletter and website for the campaign. A local newsletter with articles from the workers and service users under threat will be a very useful platform. Please email email@example.com with articles and suggestions. Also to set up a website and produce anti-cuts window posters.